Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tic-Tac-Toe anyone?


Christmas will be here before you know it.  So, to help you get motivated to get those Christmas cards and projects started (if you haven't already), this month's new release from Die-Versions is all about the holidays.  There are some fantastic dies in this release and I had so much fun coming up with different ideas for them.

This week, I'm going to show you a couple different ideas for using the Santa's Hat Sweet Petite. The first thing I thought about making was some sort of travel game/stocking stuffer.  When I was a kid, I loved playing tic-tac-toe so I went with that idea.  I cut the Santa hat 16 times (8 hats for each color) and got my glitter on.  The glue is applied with a very heavy hand because I wanted these cardstock pieces to be studier and have more dimension.  I let the glitter dry overnight (because I was so heavy-handed with the glue and I wanted to be sure) and then I applied Diamond Dust to the white portions.  This is fairly chunky to begin with, so the layer of glue is pretty thin and they didn't take too long to dry.

While the playing pieces were drying, I made the board by cutting out a 6"x6" piece of fun foam (for more stability) and adhered some Christmas paper on top.  Double sided adhesive tape was used to make the grids - and more glitter!  On the back of the board, I attached a small envelope to hold all the pieces when not in use.  This is really sparkly and glittery in person.


While I was cutting the pieces for the game, another idea came to me - gift tags.  How simple these were to make (and cute).  After cutting out the cardstock and before adding my glitter and Diamond Dust, I punched a small (1/8") hole in the top of the hat.  On the back, I wrote "To:   From:".  So now, I have several gift tags all ready to attach to a present.  (This photo also gives you a better idea how the tic-tac-toe game pieces look, but without the hole.)

This is just one of the new October release dies.  Go check out the Die-Versions Blog to see what the rest of the design team came up with and all the other new dies.  You'll be delighted that you did!

11 comments:

Eret said...

Amazing projects, Anne! I loved to play tic-tac-toe too :) Love your self made came. It's so beautiful and brilliant gift idea. And your gift tags are also stunning. Looks fantastic! Thank you, Anne, So much for sharng your ideas.
Hugs, Eret

Linda Simpson said...

This is brilliant Anne! I love the Christmas hats.

Hugs
Linda xxx

rachel said...

fabulous Anne - love those hats xx

Shona Erlenborn said...

How unique! Great ideas Anne. TFS

Tammy said...

Oh Anne, you are so clever! Love the tic-tac-toe game! The gift tags would also be pretty handing on a tree, love the red glitter.

Donna Ellis said...

Anne, what an adorable idea, and such a sweet little stocking stuffer, or mailable gift! Really cute!

Brenda said...

What a clever idea. Cute and fun

jimlynn said...

Creative and just wonderful!! Love the tic tac toe card and the tag is adorable!
Lynn

Erum Tasneem said...

CLEVER!!! absolutely clever and so so so cute!

Joan Ervin said...

What great ideas for Christmas, Anne....the game will make a wonderful stocking stuffer and I love the little Santa hat gift tag!!!!

Patricia St Martin said...

Anne, How creative is this!!!! What a great idea, give the kids something to do and a super idea for a stocking stuffer. Loving the Santa hats.
Hugs, Patricia