Monday, October 22, 2012

At the Beach

closed

Did you think this was going to be a summer card, based on the title?  Nope, it's a Christmas card!  It's also a flip (swing) card.
flipped open
This is a pretty fun and easy card to make, especially when you have the Sizzix die to cut out the base.  There are also lots of tutorials on how to score and cut your own as well.  (Here's one I found at Splitcoast Stampers.)

The card is composed of images from the Christmas Flamingo set by Sparkle N Sprinkle.  The sentiment was stamped using a glue pad and then covered in Tiger Orange Velvet Glitter (micro fine glitter and oh so cool).  I also used Tear-ific tape and the Tiger Orange glitter to make a shimmery and sparkly border around the edges.

When you flip open the card, this fun snow/sand woman is revealed.  She's colored with Copic markers and the hat band and star fish are covered with Tiger Orange glitter.  Instead of a carrot for a nose, I decided it should be an ice cream cone (you know,  the ones that have the pointy ends).  So I covered her nose with Sparkle N Soft flock (Sparkling Sands).  This is flock with a bit of added glitter for more bling.  If you haven't tried flock, you really should try some of theirs (both regular flock and the glittery flock).  And for those of you that have tried it and really didn't like it (like me, before SNS), I really encourage you to try the Sparkle N Sprinkle flock.  It's different than the other ones I had tried and it looks and feels so soft.  I love using it almost as much as I love using the SNS glitter.  (I wouldn't say this if I didn't mean it and I wouldn't have applied to be on the team if I didn't like their products!)  Be sure to check out the SNS Art Gallery for lots more inspiration and fun ways these products have been used.  (A fantastic example of how the flock looks close up can be found here, at Cammy's blog.  It looks so fussy and warm!)  Here's a bit more detailed instructions for my flip card.

So there you have it.  A fun and not so typical Christmas card!  Hope this inspires you too.

15 comments:

rachel said...

yep Anne I was expecting a beach scene!!! Love the shape of your card and all the sparkle - brilliant!!! Hugs rachel x

Tammy said...

Super cute card Anne! Great coloring of the adorable image! Love the idea of a sandwoman!

Donna Ellis said...

Darling swing card, Anne! Great colors perfect for the Florida winter celebrations! Sweet card!

jimlynn said...

SUPER cute!!! Love the way you colored the snow-girl (love the placement of the stars! LOL) Very nice and perfect for the holidays.
Lynn

Annie said...

Fab fun Christmas card Anne. Love the snow lady with aptly positioned starfish. I have not seen this style of card before so will look out for that x

Crafty hugs Annie x

Brenda said...

What a fun beachy flip card for the holidays!!!

Debi said...

Very cute swing card Anne.
Wasn't expecting a snowman with an ice cream cone nose. The blue shading around the hat really makes it stand out.
PS Thanks for all the nice comments you leave on my blog. I really appreciate them all.

Lena said...

Oh I love it! What a fun Christmas surprise! Having lived in South Africa for many years, where Christmas is in the summer, I can really appreciate this card :)
Thank you for the link to the instructions on how to make a swing card - I'm going to try one.
Hugs,
Lena

April said...

What a cheery Christmas card! Love it!

Patricia St Martin said...

Wonderful Christmas card and I love your snowman, she is so darling. Awesome swing card. Wonderful job coloring.
Hugs, Patricia

Unknown said...

I love swing flip cards! so pretty:)

Barbara Bruder said...

What a cute card and a great surprise when its flipped open.

Joan Ervin said...

OMG...what a darling flip card design....your little girl snowman is sooooo cute!!!!!

HappyCrafter said...

Fun card! We will be on a beach this year at xmas, this would be a perfect image for me to use for my xmas cards---sandy snowman! :-)

E. Marie said...

What a great flip card!! Love the little snowman.