Sunday, February 20, 2011

Timeless Classic



It's the third Sunday of the month and that means it's time for the Stamping Challenge over at Ch{all}enge Masters.  It's free to join and there are lots of new challenges issued each week. 

My challenge to everyone is to make your own stamped metal accents.  I used this technique in two different places on this tag: the gears and the hub caps. 

I found this great video at Hero Arts that shows you how simple and easy these are to make.  I ended up making 6 layers, instead of the 4 that was recommended on the video for the gears (my base is larger than the one in the video though). Here's a close-up of the gears metal accent:


Using this same metal accents technique, I also made my "metal" hub caps for this antique car.  I created the hub caps using my Epiphany Crafts round shape tool 14 and bubble caps. 

I also experimented with a different technique.  I used my colorless Art Masking Fluid (which I've used before) to mask the car.  After that dried, I applied my Versamark pad over the entire surface of the tag and heat embossed with this cool Denim embossing powder.  What I wasn't sure about was if the heated powder would release with the masking fluid.  It did!  I had to rub a bit harder to get it off, but I'm really happy with the results. 

The car is a rubber stamp from Art Impressions and the gears and sentiment are rubber stamps from an older Stampin' Up set called Sense of Time.  The oval background for the metal accent was cut with Classic Ovals #3 Spellbinders die.  I distressed the edges of my sentiment and hung it with jump rings found in the jewelry aisle of your favorite craft chain.  

By the way, Ch{all}enge Masters is looking for several new Divas for the term beginning April 1st through September 30th, 2011.  If you are interested, please contact Terri at: terri@challengemastersonline.com for the details!!

I would love to see what you come up with using this fun technique.

No comments: