Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunflowers


My stamp challenge at Ch{all}enge Masters this month is to encourage you to get out of your red rubber comfort zone and use a digital stamp on your project.  There are lots of places that offer free digital stamps to see if you like them or not.  This image is a free digi stamp from KLM Designs.

I used several different techniques to make this card.  As usual, I colored my image with Copic markers (Y35, E37, G05, G09, G28) and  a brown Spica glitter pen.  I then used the "out of the box" technique and Spellbinders Petite Scalloped Ovals, Small #6 (assumes #1 is smallest in set) to cut out my image.  For the out of the box technique, you leave a portion of your image on the outside of the cut line.  You lightly mark where the die will be, cut around the portion that you don't want to be cut by your die, slip the die underneath that portion, then cut as normal.  For my image, the lower leaf is outside the scalloped cut line.

Next,  I decided to try out a newly discovered product, Colorless Art Masking Fluid, to mask my entire image.  (I purchased mine at a local Michael's.)   No more paper masks to cut.  It's best to use a fine tipped brush so you can get into the fine details better.  Let the product dry (it only took a few minutes and I live in a very humid area) and then you're ready to proceed. 

For my background, I stamped Tumbled Glass and Broken China Distress Inks directly onto my craft mat and then spritzed them lightly with water.  Using my foam blending tool, I grabbed the ink from my mat and then swirled it all around the flower image.  I left the Spellbinder's die in place so that I would have a crisp white frame around the entire piece.  I continued using the blending tool and inks until I was happy with the way the colors looked.  Once finished with the background, just gently rub the Colorless Art Masking Fluid off with your fingertip (or you can use an eraser - like the directions say to, but where's the fun in that).

For the card base, I chose brown cardstock and, using Spellbinders Petite Scalloped Ovals, Large #6, cut out the entire card.  Score and fold the cardstock before cutting it out.  Position the cutting portion of the die on the outside of your fold, so the dies doesn't cut through that part.  Adhere your focal panel to the front of the card.

This is what the inside should look like.  I used Antique Linen Distress Ink and a sponge dauber to go around the outer edge of the right panel.  I left the inside blank so I can come back and stamp my sentiment at a later date.  Now, if I need a last minute card, all I have to do is stamp my sentiment and I'm good to go.

So, my challenge to you is 1) try a digital stamp and 2) go check out all the fun challenges over at Challenge Masters.

Lastly, don't forget you still have time to play in our first ever F{all} into a Ch{all}enge Masters Blog Hop.   Check this past Fridays's post for more details.  You can win blog candy from each Diva.

1 comment:

HappyCrafter said...

This is lovely, and thank you so much for telling us about the masking solution, LSS here I come!