Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cow poke


For this multi layered card, I started off with a linen look base cardstock in a mahogany color, to coordinate with the Aged Mahogany Distress ink  that I used to stamp my image.  The next layer was made using dye reinkers and marbles to create my background.  This is an easy, but somewhat loud, technique.  Just place a few drops of a dye reinker (colors of your choice) into a plastic container that has a lid.  (The Stampin' Up containers work really well for this.)  Next, adhere a piece of cardstock onto the top of the container with repositionable tape.  Drop in several marbles and shake to your heart's content.  You can always add more drops of reinker if you want more color.  When you're satisfied, take off the cardstock and you have just created a wonderful one-of-a- kind background.  Alcohol inks and glossy cardstock would look great too.  Felt covered brads were placed in the four corners.

The next layer is actually a piece of very thin wood that came in one of my husband's cigar boxes.  I'm always looking at things most people just toss in the trash to see if I can re-purpose it in one of my projects.  This piece of wood veneer was thin enough to cut with scissors.  There are now several internet companies that sell real wood veneer paper.  From what I understand, they are thin enough to use in your die cutting machines.  I haven't tried them yet, but they sound fun to use.

The final two layers were cut out using the Spellbinders Curved Rectangles dies.  First is a piece of handmade fiber paper that I had laying around and the top layer is a portion of an image from Viva Las Vegas Stamps (VLVS).   If you haven't visited this site, you're in for a real treat.  They have a lot of the unusual and funky, but fun, stamps.   I inked the edges of this final lyaer with Aged Mahogany Distress ink.

No comments: