Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Spray starch technique


As requested, here's how to make a super quick and easy background using spray starch.  The items you will need are:
  • black cardstock
  • spray starch
  • Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls
  • foam paint brush
  • something to work in (old shoe box lid)

Place the black card stock in the tray and spray liberally with spray starch.  Tap on your Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls.  As you can see, the paper does curl, but will flatten out once it's dry.  Swirl the powder with the foam paint brush until you get the look you like.  I used Perfect Pearls Heirloom Gold and Forever Red.
 I liked seeing some of my brush strokes and the black paper coming through a little, but you can make it smoother looking if that's what you prefer.  Let dry.  That's it!  Told you it was really easy.  I don't remember where I read about this technique, but thanks.

Once it's dry, you can use it as a background or you can emboss it using a contrasting color.  Since Valentine's is right around the corner...  I embossed with a seafoam white, colored in my heart on the vase with Smooch pearlized accent inks (Siren) and used Tim Holtz's Corners (in a traditional way).  The color of these corners matched my background perfectly.  I inked part of a larger stamp that says Be Mine, cut it out and used a small jump ring to attach to the ribbon.  I also brushed Forever Red Perfect Pearls on the Be Mine heart and the white base of the card.  It doesn't show up in the picture, but it gives a nice subtle look in person.

Now go have fun making your own backgrounds with spray starch.  One last note: the spray starch acts as an adhesive, so you don't have to seal it and it doesn't rub off on your fingers.

No comments: